Hot Cross Bun Pudding
6 x fresh hot cross buns
50g butter (or a dairy free alternative)
100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
125g of your favourite Easter eggs
200g fresh or frozen raspberries & blackberries
600ml full cream milk (or coconut milk for dairy free option)
300ml thick cream (or coconut cream for dairy free option)
½ cup maple syrup (or honey or sugar)
1 vanilla bean, sliced in half (or 1 tbs of vanilla paste or extract)
Zest of 1 orange
4 eggs, lightly whisked
Serving suggestion: cream, ice-cream or natural yoghurt
1. Place a baking dish into a larger baking dish or pan.
2. Slice the hot cross buns in half and butter each side.
3. Add half of the buns to the bottom the tray and sprinkle over half of the dark chocolate.
4. Add the remaining buns and sprinkle the remaining dark chocolate.
5. Add the milk, cream, maple (or sugar), vanilla, zest, and eggs to a large saucepan and whisk to combine.
6. Place the saucepan on low to medium heat and gently simmer for 5-6 minutes.
7. Pour the custard mixture over the buns and let sit for 30 minutes to allow the custard to soak into the hot cross buns.
8. Add the berries and easter eggs.
9. Next, add some hot water to the bottom baking tray creating a water bath for the pudding.
10. Bake the pudding at 170C for 45 minutes.
11. Remove the pudding from the oven and allow to cool.
12. Serve with cream, yoghurt or ice cream and enjoy!